I run. I run a classroom. I run my life! I can't promise any eloquent words of wisdom, but I can share what it's like to be a runner and a teacher, and everything in between.

Monday, September 5, 2011

Undercover Bribery - DIY style

So this weekend, Abuela and I got together to do one of our "10 minute projects" to create some pillows for my classroom.  They're fun; they're comfy; and they'll be used for undercover bribery to get my kids to read and work hard. :)

As you may remember, this fabric matches the bulletin board that I put together a few weeks ago for my student work.


I use the privilege to sit out of your own desk as a big bribery tool in my classroom.  Basically if you're working hard, you just might get an invitation to work out of your seat for a lesson.  They LOVE it!  I've got all kinds of random areas the kiddos can be, but what they love most are the comfy chairs and now, comfy pillows! 

I've even started a new thing where we have a student of the day, "Bruin of the Day."  If luck floats your way, and you happen to sit with that person in your group, you get first dibs on the pillows and cool chairs in the room (when it's a time to work out of your seat).  They're pretty obsessed with it.  Ahhh, the little things...

Abuela and I call this the "10 minute Project" because it really is.

What you'll need:
3/4 yards of fabric for each pillow
thread
sewing machine (or inspiration to hand-sew the straight stitches...not that hard, I swear!)
pillows or stuffing for the inside

Here's what you'll do:
-Lay the fabric face down on the table.
-Fold left side a little more than half way across the center.
-Fold right side a little more than half way across the center to create a small overlap with the left side.
-Measure the pillow to ensure you have the correct measurements, then pin the edges.  You will not sew where you created your overlap so that the pillow case can be removable.
-Make a straight stitch on the top and bottoms.  Flip the cover right side out, and be sure to poke the corners out. 
-Stuff case with the pillow. 
-Ta-da!

No comments:

Post a Comment