I run. I run a classroom. I run my life! I can't promise any eloquent words of wisdom, but I can share what it's like to be a runner and a teacher, and everything in between.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

I love when I'm tricky!

I read to my kids every day after lunch.  
These days, not all kids have the opportunity 
and the treat of being read to.

I've made it a point to switch up the genres
every time we finish a book.
So far we've read
The Tale of Despereaux 
(fantasy)
 
And Maniac Magee
(realistic fiction)

In January it was time to start a new book,
so I let my kids vote on the genre.
I didn't give them choices that they were too familiar with:
historical fiction, poetry, or autobiography.

Though not thrilled, they were forced to choose
and they landed on poetry.
Little did they know it would be a genre 
they'd learn to love.


The first day I started on page 1
and began reading the poems in order.
A few days past, and I could see them
pretending they didn't like them
but they really did.

So then I decided to make it an assignment 
to choose a poem and read it to the class.
As I explained we'd be focusing on expression,
pace, and eye contact with the audience,
they looked at me as though this was my worst idea yet.
But after a few volunteers took a brave leap of faith,
they started to realize how great poetry can be.

It's February now,
and they have eaten it up!
They giggle. They smile.
They beg to see the pictures.
And they love the snaps instead of applause at the end.

The moment I knew they were absolutely hooked was this week.
I checked out Falling Up

I quietly set it on the whiteboard tray,
hoping someone would ask to read it.
First one girl, and then a few boys.
Now, we've got a sign-up list going on.


Then today, music to my ears:
"Miss Friedrich, can we read a poem for the class from this book too?"
I've done it again!
Caught ya!  
Loving what you're learning!
And you don't even realize it.
Ha!
I love when I'm tricky.



No comments:

Post a Comment