I run. I run a classroom. I run my life! I can't promise any eloquent words of wisdom, but I can share what it's like to be a runner and a teacher, and everything in between.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Compliments

We've had a bit of bullying
going on in our 4th and 5th grade classrooms.

So in hopes to clean
my classroom of gossip and dirty looks,
"she's not our friend" conversations,
and just plain mean behaviors,
I did the only thing I could think of:

I am having each of my students write one
kind and specific compliment
about each person in the class,
including me.

I got this idea from one of
my most memorable teachers,
Mrs. Smith.
She was my 6th grade teacher.
When something similar was in the air
of our class in 1996,
she had us complete the same assignment.

After receiving our compliments,
she compiled a list for each of us.
30 compliments from our classmates, and 1 from our teacher.
I still have mine,
and I smile each time I read it.
I remember feeling noticed and appreciated.

This weekend, I spent some time typing some of 
the compliments that have already been submitted.
I was pleasantly reminded 
how great kids can be
when you give them the opportunity.

Some of my favorites include:
"I love how you're really good at reading.  I think you should write your own book someday."

"I think you are forgivable, because if you broke a promise to someone, you would always make it up to them."

"You were my friend, even when people were mad at me.  I'd like to thank you for that."

"I love how you act, but I like more how you are a leader to follow."

"You are always hopeful, because when we play soccer and our team is losing, you always hope for the best."

- - - - - -
Have I mentioned that I love my job yet?



2 comments:

  1. These are sweet :) We started a compliment jar and my kids are obsessed. Thanks for inspiring me, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, that 'compliment' made my crappy day a little better. You inspire me too, and don't you forget! So glad your kids like the compliment jar! I feel like our kids need to be noticed every now and again, because I'm sure they don't feel like that at home. :) Way to go Olivia!

    ReplyDelete